Appleton (Images of America)
Format: PDF / Kindle (mobi) / ePub
Appletons rich beginnings found their source at Lawrence Institute, the university in the woods, on the Fox River. Rev. Henry Colman and Rev. William Sampson chose the bluff on the river for the site of the institute. Amos A. Lawrence donated $10,000, and the building began in July 1848. It was with axe and hook that the first settlers cleared the land for Lawrence and Appleton. The city was made up of three villages: Martin (Grand Chute), Appleton, and Lawesburg. In 1857, the villages joined together to form the city of Appleton. Amos Story was the citys first mayor. Appletons industry grew on the banks of the Fox River, including hydroelectricity and paper.
to travel down College Avenue as it becomes the place it is today. The ever-changing Fox River was of special interest as it was dammed and shaped to suit the needs of a growing community. Chapter One includes the beginnings of Appleton, which are inextricably tied to the “University in the Woods,” Lawrence Institute. Amos Lawrence, a well-known philanthropist of the 19th century, planned for a Methodist institution in the new territory of Wisconsin. Reeder Smith, H.L. Blood, and George Day
railroads provided transportation for both people and goods. The Soo Line Passenger Depot was located on the north side of College Avenue between Bennett and Locust Streets. During the Cuban Missile Crisis, the 32nd Division from Appleton left from this depot to go to Fort Lewis, Washington. (Image and caption courtesy of Dave Kalz.) 96 Eight Where They Learned The Second Ward school was a two-story brick building constructed at a cost of $5,000. The school was known as the Hercules School.
bicyclist keeping pace as they glide along. Children watch from the sidewalk and second-floor windows. The businesses on the south side of College Avenue between Durkee and Morrison Streets include tailor John Ross, plumber Henry Nichols, and Cawilk Paint Shop. A large sign advertises for B. Lyons manufacturer of the Capitol Cigar and Quaker Oats. (Image courtesy of Jon Porter.) 125 The circus brought a menagerie of animals to College Avenue in about 1900. Above, the reindeer, zebras, donkeys,
courtesy of Barbara Hirn.) 20 The Outagamie Mill’s original proprietor was W.L. Barteau. He sold to Messrs. Cross and Willy in 1878. Each year, they made many improvements. In 1879, the middling purifiers were put in place, and everything in the mill was overhauled and repaired. In 1881, the mill was destroyed by fire. (Image courtesy of Dave Kalz.) Theodore Conkey himself erected the Conkey Flour Mill, on the left, in 1853. The mill had three sets of burrs. The mill used the water to drive
trolley tracks and the bricks of College Avenue. (Image courtesy of the Ken Weiland family.) 53 Horse-drawn wagons bring wood and other items to market behind Montgomery’s Drug Store on Market Street (now Soldier’s Square). Market Street ran from Oneida Street to Morrison Street. The wood was carried by both horse-drawn wagons and sleds. Here, they would barter, trade, sell, and buy commodities of the day. The upstairs of the drugstore included the Wecker newspaper office and a German insurance